PREEMIE CAP and BOOTIES
by Joan Hamer
originally published in Pine Meadow Knitting News
Using a good quality acrylic baby yarn, and #4 (3.5 mm) needles, cast on 72 stitches.
Work 2" of K2, P2 ribbing, then work 2-1/2" of stockinette stitch
(or stitch of your choice).
- Row 1: K4, k2tog, across row.
- Rows 2, 4, 6 and 8: Purl
- Row 3: K3, k2tog, across row.
- Row 5: K2, k2tog, across row.
- Row 7: K2tog, across row.
Cut yarn long enough to sew back seam and run through stitches on needle,
pull up tight and sew seam. Add pom-pom if desired.
With #4 needles, cast on 27 stitches. Knit 1 row.
- Next Row: Increase (inc) in 1st st, k11, inc 1 st., k1, inc 1 st, k11,
inc in last st.
- Knit 1 row.
- Next Row: Inc. in 1st st, k11, inc in next st, k5, inc 1 st, k11, inc
in last st. (35 sts).
- Knit 3 rows.
- Work 6 rows in stockinette or other simple stitch.
- Next Row: K20, k2tog, (through back of sts), turn, slip 1, p5, p2tog,
turn, slip 1, k5, k2tog.
- Continue in this maner on center sts until there are a total of 23
- Slip 1, k5, k2tog, knit to end, turn, p13, p2tog, p to end. (21 sts).
Work 12 rows in pattern ending with 4 to 6 rows of garter stitch (knit
each row). Sew seam.
It is imperative that you use a loose cast off, preferably a sewn cast
off so the bootie doesn't bind around the ankle.
URL of this page: https://fibergypsy.com/pmkn/preemieset.shtml
Copyright 1998 - 2022 The Fiber Gypsy (except as otherwise noted) · Webmaster: info (at) fibergypsy (dot) com
This page last modified: Tuesday, April 26, 2022
Using the information you find here: Please feel free to link directly to this page and to use any of the information you find here in your own personal fiber pursuits, but do honor all copyright notices as posted. All information contained in the pages maintained on the FiberGypsy server is copyrighted and may be used and shared freely in any form provided no profit is made from its distribution and provided The Fiber Gypsy is cited as the source of this information.