KNIT BABY SET (Sacque and Cap)
by Joan Hamer
originally published in Pine Meadow Knitting News
Cast on 50 sts.
- Row 1: Work in garter st (knit every row) for 6 rows.
- Row 7: Work in stockinette st. (knit 1 row, purl 1 row). Work until
piece meas. 7" from beg.
- Last row is a purl row.
Note: Width across back is 11 inches.
Sleeve Shaping: Cast on 24 sts. at end of just worked purl row. There
are now 74 sts.
- Next Row: Knit across row. Cast on 24 sts. There are now 98 sts.
- Row 1: Knit 5, purl across row, end knit 5 for cuff.
- Row 2: Knit across row.
- Row 3: Repeat Rows 1 and 2 to 4" above last cast on sts. Last
row is a right side row.
NECK, FRONT and SLEEVES:
- Row 1: Work 39 sts and slip to stitch holder. Bind off 20 sts for neck.
Work rem. 39 sts.
- Row 2: Work on the 39 sts for 4 rows in stockinette st. (knit one row,
purl one row).
- Row 6: Work across row. Increase 1 st. at end of row for neck edge,
and 1 st. at same edge every other row 2 times more. There are now 42 sts.
- Next Row: Work 42 sts for 2 rows in st. st. Cast on 9 sts at end of
last row for front edge. There are now 51 sts.
- Row 11: Knit 5 for front border, purl to last 5 sts, knit 5.
- Row 12: Knit
- Row 13: Repeat Rows 11 and 12 until sleeve meas. 8", end at cuff
- Next Row: Bind off 24 sts at beg of row, work across row. Working in
garter st. at front edge, work on the 27 sts to match back to garter st.
- Then knit 6 rows. Bind off. Slip sts. off holder onto needle with the
point of the needle at neck edge. Join yarn and work across 39 sts. Work
3 more rows (4 rows worked).
- Next Row: Inc. 1 st. at beg. of row, and 1 st. at same edge every other
row twice more. End at cuff edge. There are now 42 sts.
- Next Row: Work across row in st. st. Cast on 9 sts at end of row for
front edge. There are now 51 sts. Finish same as other side. Bind off.
With right side facing, starting at right front edge, pick up and knit
13 sts. along neck edge, pick up and knit 20 sts. along back of neck edge,
pick up and knit rem. 13 sts. along left front neck edge. There are now
Next Row: Knit across row for 6 rows. Bind off.
FINISHING: Sew underarm and sleeve seams. Trim with ribbon ties.
Cast on 50 sts.
- Row 1: Work in garter st. for 18 rows.
- Row 19: Work in st. st. for 16 rows.
- Row 34: Bind off 19 sts. at beg. of row, knit to end. There are now
- Row 35: Bind off 19 sts at beg of row, purl to end. There are now 12
- Row 36: Work in st. st. for 24 rows. Bind off. Sew the 19 bound-off
sts. to each side of narrow strip on wrong side of work.
- With right side facing, at left front, pick up and knit 60 sts.
- Knit 4 rows. Bind off. Trim with ribbon ties.
URL of this page: https://fibergypsy.com/pmkn/babyset.shtml
Copyright 1998 - 2022 The Fiber Gypsy (except as otherwise noted) · Webmaster: info (at) fibergypsy (dot) com
This page last modified: Tuesday, April 26, 2022
Using the information you find here: Please feel free to link directly to this page and to use any of the information you find here in your own personal fiber pursuits, but do honor all copyright notices as posted. All information contained in the pages maintained on the FiberGypsy server is copyrighted and may be used and shared freely in any form provided no profit is made from its distribution and provided The Fiber Gypsy is cited as the source of this information.