Briggs & Little's Heavy Sock Pattern
Adult Size 10:
- Length of leg -- 11 inches (28 cm)
- Length of foot between toe and heel -- 8 inches (20 cm)
- Note: Lengths of legs and feet may be adjusted but increases
may require more yarn.
- 2 - 4 oz. (113 gm) skeins of Briggs & Little 100% Wool Yarn 2/8,
2 ply or Homespun Style
- 1 - 4 oz. (113 gm) skein of same for contrast stripe if desired
- Note 1: Suitable yarns for substitution are heavy worsted weight
yarns, which would normally knit to a gauge of 4-4.5 sts on size 5 or 5.5
mm needles (American sizes 8 or 9).]
- Note 2: If knitting these socks for Troops in Bosnia, be sure
to use only those colors listed as acceptable.
Needles: 1 set double pointed 3.25 mm (American size 3)
Tension, to be measured on 3.25 needles in stocking stitch: 12
sts and 16 rows = 2 inches (5 cm). If you do not obtain the correct tension,
use larger or smaller needles as indicated.
Check your tension. A careful check to your tension is the only
assurance you have of a proper size for the finished garment. Your test
piece should be large enough so it can be laid out without being stretched
or compressed by the needles.
- Cast on 54 sts, 18 on each of 3 needles. Join.
- Rib (K2, P1) around.
- Rib six rows around in main color; rib six rows around in contrasting
color; rib six rows around in main color; rib six rows around in contrast
- Continue rib in main color until leg measures 11 ins. or desired length.
To Make a Heel
- Turn work and P 27 sts on 1 needles. Divide remaining sts on 2 needles
(14 and 13). Do not work these sts. Working on needle with 27 sts. Turn.
- Row 1: K1, Sl1 across row ending in K sts. Turn.
- Row 2: P across row. Turn.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until work measures 3 inches ending with a P row.
To Turn Heel
- Row 1: K1, Sl1 for 17 sts. Then Sl1, K1, PSSO. Turn.
- Row 2: Sl1, P7, P2 tog. Turn.
- Row 3: (Sl1, K1) 4 times, Sl1, K1, PSSO. Turn.
- Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until 9 sts remain. Turn.
To Make Instep
- K across 9 sts, then pick up and K 15 sts along side of heel.
- Place 27 sts divided at start of heel on one needles (front of sock)
and rib (K2, P1) as before.
- With other needle pick up and K 15 sts from other side of heel.
- K5 sts from heel needle on this needle, making 20 sts on 1st needle,
27 on 2nd or front needle, and 19 sts on 3rd needle.
- Row 1: K 1st needle, Rib 2nd needle, K 3rd needle.
- Row 2:
- 1st needle: K to last 3 sts, K2 tog, K1
- 2nd needle: Rib
- 3rd needle, K1, Sl1, K1, PSSO, K to end of needle.
- Repeat these two rows until 13 sts remain on 1st needle and 12 sts
on 3rd needle.
- Continue knitting, keeping rib on 2nd or front needle until foot measures
8 inches from back of heel, ending 3rd needle.
To Shape Toe
- Sl1 from front needle to 3rd needle making 13 sts on each side needle
and 26 sts on front needle.
- Row 1:
- 1st needle: K to last 3 sts, K2 tog, k1
- 2nd needle: (Do not rib when shaping toe) K1, Sl1, K1, PSSO,
K to last 3 sts, K2 tog, K1
- 3rd needle: K1, Sl1, K1, PSSO, K to end of needle.
- Row 2: K around all 3 needles.
- Repeat these 2 rows until 4 sts remain on 1st needle, 8 sts on 2nd
needle and 4 sts on 3rd needle (16 sts in total).
- With 3rd needle K the 4 sts from 1st needle leaving 8 sts on each of
- Break off yarn about 18 inches long and thread through darning needle
to weave or graft toe.
Copyright 1995 Briggs & Little Woolen Mills Ltd. This pattern may be
freely shared and distributed in any medium so long as it remains fully
intact, including this copyright notice, and no profit is made from its
use or distribution. A special thanks is extended to John Little
for letting the "troop knitting" effort make use of this pattern.
URL of this page: https://fibergypsy.com/patterns/brigsock.shtml
Copyright 1998 - 2022 The Fiber Gypsy (except as otherwise noted) · Webmaster: info (at) fibergypsy (dot) com
This page last modified: Monday, April 25, 2022
Using the information you find here: Please feel free to link directly to this page and to use any of the information you find here in your own personal fiber pursuits, but do honor all copyright notices as posted. All information contained in the pages maintained on the FiberGypsy server is copyrighted and may be used and shared freely in any form provided no profit is made from its distribution and provided The Fiber Gypsy is cited as the source of this information.